Monday, October 24, 2011

Make It New Mondays! Sweet Felted Bird

Today's Make It New Monday project is a sweet little bird fashioned from an upcycled felted sweater, nestled in a knitted nest of yarn scraps.

My sister and I hit the jackpot awhile back at the local thrift store. Gorgeous wool sweaters, all waiting to be taken home and felted. This little bird (and another for my sis) came from this sweater.


The pattern came from the 2009 summer issue of Sew Somerset and was created by Jenni Horne.




There are only three main body pieces - two bird-shaped sides and a pointed oblong gusset - which are whipstiched together. A seed bead for each eye and fabric wings are sewn on before assembling the body, and strips of felt and yarn are tucked in the back before stitching it up.



I had scraps of some lovely eyelash and fleecy yarn that I thought would make a great nest.


 I knit them together into a long rectangle with tapered ends. Then I twirled the rectangle into a nest shape and secured it with some yarn stitches.


Jenni Horne adapted the pattern from the felt bird in Betz White 's book Warm Fuzzies - a great resource if you're interested in making more items from felted sweaters.








No comments:

Post a Comment