Monday, October 17, 2011

Make It New Mondays! Jeans Wallet

Here's my first project for Make It New Mondays! A funky little wallet upcycled from an old pair of jeans.


I had heard the term "upcycling" before, but I wasn't sure exactly what it meant. I found out that upcycling, like recycling, uses something that would otherwise be thrown away. But whereas recycled materials are usually broken down into something of lesser value, an upcycled item will have equal or greater use or value. I knew a greater good could come from these holey jeans!


I'd been saving this old pair of jeans for a project such as this, and I picked out some fabric and ribbon scraps to use with it. I found a sweet pattern by Lola Nova in the 5th issue of Mollie Makes - a fabulous craft magazine from the U.K. (it's available at Barnes and Noble.)



The inside has six little pockets to hold business cards, Starbucks card :), cash, whatever.



The first one I made was a present for my niece (along with an iTunes card, of course.) There was more than enough jean material to make another one (or six or eight!) On the second one I appliqued wool felt leaves cut from some thrifted felted sweaters (more upcycling:) to decorate the front.




Are you into upcycling?

No comments:

Post a Comment