Friday, November 18, 2011

Fun with Kids! Turkey Handprint Placemats

I've always loved the turkey handprints that my kids have made in preschool. You know, where the teacher puts brown paint on the palm and thumb and a different color on each finger and than carefully presses the little hand down to make a turkey - SO cute! I thought it might be fun to have the kids color their own turkey handprints and then make them into placemats for Thanksgiving.



Here's the paper version Zeke made in preschool this year. We just love our preschool!




The boys had a great time with this. Here's how we did it. First I traced their hand onto a piece of brown fabric using a fabric marker.



 
 Then they used fabric markers to design and color their turkeys.




I took the finished turkeys and ironed a piece of fusible web (wonder-under) on the back. Then I cut out the turkey just around the outside of the tracing line. If you wanted to make these with your kids, you could just buy a plain placemat and fuse on the turkey at this point. I had some fabric that I thought would be fun to use, so I made my own. For the front I sewed two contrasting pieces of fabric (2 3/4" by 12") to a middle piece (10 1/2" by 12") using a 1/4 seam allowance. I peeled the paper off the back of the turkey and fused it to the placemat.



 
Next I cut a piece of fabric for the back and a piece of flannel for padding (15" by 12" each.) I found this flannel in the clearance bin at the fabric store, and I'm so glad I snatched it up. It's been great for using as a thin batting in bags, purses, etc. I layered the fabrics (right sides together, then the flannel on top) and sewed through all three thicknesses (using a 1/2 seam allowance) leaving an opening in the bottom for turning.



After clipping the corners, I turned and pressed the placemat. I stiched down either side of each seam and then edgestiched around the entire placemat.




Then I did a tight zigzag stitch around the whole turkey to make sure it stays on there! I added some legs so it wouldn't look like it was floating in mid-air. :)



I used varigated thread in fall colors for the front and in the bobbin I put some varigated thread I had that just happed to match the backing fabric (which is from a sheet!)



 
The boys finished up by writing their names and "O give thanks unto the Lord" on the front.




All ready for Thanksgiving dinner! Zoe made a handprint turkey, too, and I'm hoping to have something else to show you on Monday, but we've got company coming, so we'll see if that happens. If not, Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment