Saturday, September 10, 2011

Life's a Hoot! Baby Quilt



My sister just had a baby boy and she chose owls for the nursery- so cute! I wanted to make a play quilt for him, and I couldn't believe it when I saw this pattern on the front of the Spring issue of Quilts and More. The quilt even used the exact same fabric (Hooty Hoot for Riley Blake designs) that my sister had chosen for her curtains and crib bedding!


I wanted this to be a quilt that he could play on, so I decided to add some texture with different types of fabrics. The background is flannel, the moon is satin, the owl body is velvet with ribbon loops for the feet, and the branch is corduroy.


This was my first attempt at applique on a quilt, and I was really nervous about how it would turn out, especially using the different types of fabric. But I was surprised by how smoothly it went.


Now I *just* have to quilt and bind it!



I made the backing a little too short, and now I need to add fabric somewhere to lengthen it. I'm not sure what would look good- any suggestions?



No comments:

Post a Comment